Saturday, October 30, 2010

PRACTICE RIFLE SHOOTING

         I was out shooting my rifle, in anticipation of the upcoming deer season, the other day and realized just how enjoyable time spent at the range can be. This is something I have always had a hard time getting my mind around; Why hunters are reluctant or find it a drudgery to spend time shooting their hunting rifle.
(one type of deer rifle in 30-06 cal. that is a pleasure to shoot)
  Certainly, in today’s economy, the price of ammunition has risen sharply. Even if you reload, you have felt the crunch of the dollar at the bench. But I think many riflemen have found the secret that bow hunters have known for a long time. That is, it is better to shoot a few arrows each day than try shooting dozens of arrows all at one time. So it is with rifle shooting. I know that for many this means extra work, and travel to and from the range, but it is better to shoot a few shots more often than try to shoot a box or two of shells all at once. As one TV outdoor show host ends his segment with the admonition “… shoot more often!” This is excellent advice for each of us.
I believe this was brought home to me at a very early age. I grew up in the home of a gunsmith, who was also the son of a gunsmith. There was always a flurry of activity, just before deer hunting season opened, where many of the local hunters would bring their firearms to my father and want them sighted in for the upcoming season. During a particularly active year you would often hear Dad say something like, “I really don’t know why all these guys don’t shoot their own rifles! That is part of the fun of getting ready for season.” But he would pack up three or four of the rifles and we would head for the shooting range.
Once we reached the shooting range, which was a large gravel pit on our neighbors farm, where my Dad was the only one with permission to shoot and thus build a shooting bench on the property, he would set me up with one of the rifles and say, “Get that one on paper and then I’ll be over to fine tune it.” I got introduced to some very fine rifles and scopes during my teen years. Rugers, Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, and custom made rifles, all kinds came through his shop and most were of that pre-64 vintage. I often wondered what the customer would say if he knew that, at least partially, a young teenager sighted in their expensive rifle.
Out of that I learned to enjoy the time spent at the shooting bench. There is a sense of purpose but also a sense of otherworldliness. In a reverse type of way, you are connecting with something that is 50, 100 or 200 yards distance. Shooting sports have always held a certain mystique for some. The ability to control the projectile that connects with a distant object or target has a certain headiness to it. To date, I believe my longest shot has been just over 800 yards at a two quart milk jug. I hit it, slightly off-center, on my fourth shot shooting a customized bench gun. Obviously, I would never condone the shooting at game at such distance, it is strictly for the target experience.
Even though deer season has already started here in my part of the state, I will be heading back to the shooting range during season just to check on scope alignment and my own form from time to time. Besides it is so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment