Saturday, October 9, 2010

BACK AGAIN AND LOOKING FOR MUZZLELOADER SEASON OPENER

It has been a little while since I have been able to write. As it says in my bio, I am a rural pastor of a small church here in Northern New York and the demands of that position have kept me busy the past couple of weeks.
(young deer taken with a .45 cal. percussion longrifle)
This next week, my daughter is coming for the opening of Blackpowder deer season here in the Adirondacks. It is the first Ramona has been able to hunt with me in about eight years. She had four children, three boys and a little girl, and now is able to get back to hunting.
Have been working on a rifle for her and setting up a few stands for us to use during the week of muzzleloader hunting. Hopefully the opener will bring some good weather.
(One of a number of flintlock deer over the years)
I picked up a new break action 209 primer 50 caliber for my own rifle this year. So that means that my old 50 cal. in-line goes to Ramona. Since I harvested a number of deer with it, it should not be a handicap for her. The only improvement I made was to mount a scope on the rifle for easier shooting for my daughter. She is more familiar with a scope than open sights. Camo clothing is no problem since I have plenty  for her at home.
We have a number of woodlots to hunt during the week and some public land as well. Since the early muzzleloader season is to gather meat for the freezer, I am looking forward to a successful hunt and will report back later as to how we do. Hopefully, Ramona can tag her first deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment